What boat do I have? [Thompson]

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Tom Gordon

What boat do I have? [Thompson]

Post by Tom Gordon »

I have a 12ft RunAbout, Light yellow below the water line and 2 cockpits. I know that it's a Thompson. I'm guessing it's from the 50's. Also if you do know the boat type what type of stain should I use? If anyone knows that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard!

Can't do much with the scant information you provided. Pictures help.

Is this a wood boat, fiberglass, rubber?? If a wooden boat, is the hull construction plywood lapstrake or cedar strip?

Is there a hull ID stamped into the transom, inside the boat? If yes, what is this? Any indication where the boat was made? Is there a serial number metal tag? If yes, let me know EXACTLY and COMPLETELY what is on it.

Andreas
email: thompsonboat@msn.com
Tom Gordon

Post by Tom Gordon »

It is wood 12 foot ,cedar strip below the waterline and wood and plywood above the waterline.Light yellow below the waterline.She has no ID that I can find,but the old decal on the side said Thompson Brothers Better Built Boats, Cortland NY.I'll try to find some photoes...
a j r

Post by a j r »

Thanks for the additional information. Is the entire hull of strip-built construction?? Where is the plywood??

You can email pictures directly to me: thompsonboat@msn.com

Andreas
Tom Gordon

Post by Tom Gordon »

the entire hull is built in strips, cedar below the waterline and hardwood above the waterline. the deck is made of plywood...
Tom Gordon

Some Boat Pics

Post by Tom Gordon »

gebramley

12 foot Thompson

Post by gebramley »

I have a 12 foot Thompson very similar to yours. I bought it used on the Chain of Lakes, Waupaca, WI in 1956. It is cedar strip from keel to the top edge. The plywood decking is actually mahogany. The original Thompson logo was located on the deck facing the driver. My boat is set up for the driver to sit on the floor in the stern section, using a steering wheel and throttle. There is seat forward for two passengers. The original engine was a 14 horsepower Evinrude, which I later changed out for an 18 horsepower Johnson. My boat is in classic condition, and has not been in the water in seven or eight years. The keel was replaced about 12 years ago, and the bottom is fiberglassed
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Tom,

Go to the Dockside Boats section of this website and you will see a couple of examples that are very close to your boat. Our 1953 16' Super Deluxe is very similar (it is in the group at Dockside Boats section. click on it, then scroll down to second boat). However, the top crowned decks on ours are mahogany strips. The 1953 sales brochure shows a 12 foot Super Deluxe that is 12', 50" at beam and 20" deep. It said it weighed 210 punds and had a retail price of $303. The hull was painted white, the spray rail brigt red and the mahogany above the spray rail and on the decks was left unstained and just varnished.

Welcome to Thompson boating.

John Thompson