My "new" Thompson boat

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Hyyr2000

My "new" Thompson boat

Post by Hyyr2000 »

Greetings, everyone, from a first-time poster (and boat owner).

I sincerely hope my boat is appropriate for this forum, as it is a more recent model year (& fiberglass hull as well) as most I've seen here.

I very recently purchased a 1985 Thompson 20' stern-drive (I/O) cuddy boat. I got the boat, trailer, and some accessories but absolutely no documentation on the vessel. As a technician, I know the importance of good documentation, so this was the first thing I went looking for. Of course, as you all know (and as I found out) this isn't so simple. I am even unsure of the exact model name of the boat, as it was listed only as a "1985 20' Thompson Cuddy".

According to the metal plate located by the engine throttle, it is a "Model 229 I/O Series". Made by Thompson Boat Company, Saint Charles, MI. Google searching on the web failed to turn up any info on this boat (other than this website), or any pics of what the boat may have looked like new. 1985 seems to be a transitional year for Thompson from the company histories I've read.

The sterndrive is a Mercruiser 3.7 liter (seems to be rather a large displacement for a 4 cylinder engine). The boat has dual fuel tanks and a small head. The boat cargo capacity (according to the plate) is rated maximum at "9 persons or 1650 Lbs". The previous owner said that fully loaded this boat weighed in at just over 4,000 lbs, which seems rather a lot to me. Could this be correct?

I got this boat as a project boat, the hull is very sound but the drive needs work (or course). The interior/cabin needs refinishing, as do the the seats & doghouse. I plan to work on the boat through the autumn/winter, and hopefully have it ready by next spring. I will need much advice on restoring (seems to be a wealth of info just on this one site), but currently I am just hoping to get more information on my boat.

BTW the Hull number (on the stern) reads: TMS22812A585. I'm guessing the last three digits are a date code (May 1985), and since the manufacturer's code is TMS, does that leave 22812A as a potential serial number?

Before I get started working on it, I would like to purchase documentation (possibly original owners manual) and am interested in any pics of a same year/model boat in top condition. (I have pics of my boat if anyone cares to see them).

Thanks again, (and again, I hope this vessel is not inappropriate for these forums) and look forward to your feedback.

-Hyyr
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard!

TMS22812A585 is the serail number. TMS = Thompson Boat. 22812 is the company's internal serial number. A = the month of January. 5 = the year of manufacture 1985. 85 = model year. Therefore your boat was built in January 1985 and she is a 1985 model year boat.

Strange - there is NO model "229" in the 1985 Thomspon Boat brochure.

In the 1984 brochure model 229 is called "Heritage." The model 252 "Weekender Cuddy" in the 1985 brochure looks like the same model as the 1984 229 "Heritage." I would guess that they just renamed the model. They have the same specifications. The weight with V-8 engine is listed as 3,300 pounds.

There are no owner's manauals for the boats. You may be able to locate one for the engine and outdrive.

Not sure why you say 1985 was a transition year at Thompson Boat. What do you mean?

Andreas Jordahl Rhude
Founder & President
Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally, Inc.
email: thompsonboat@msn.com
Hyyr2000

Post by Hyyr2000 »

Thanks for your reply!

Interesting that there is no "model 229" listed for 1985. You confirmed that my boat is indeed a 1985 model, and the plate definately reads "Model 229 I/O Series". Maybe a new-year mistake for the manufacturer?

I could send you pics of the hull & cabin, but after seeing all the pics of these beautiful wooden-hulled boats I am rather embarrassed to post them here- she certainly doesn't look very pretty at the moment.

I made the remark about the "transition year" (I really meant 'transition period, not year) because I had read the article about the Michigan manufacturing facility, and had the impression that my boat wasn't a "true" Thompson boat- built by another company in another state (other than Wisconsin) using the Thompson name. However- I am not an expert (reading a few articles certainly doesn't qualify me as one) so I don't really know what I am talking about : ) But, that is why I made the remark.

Regardless of my boat's manufacturing location, she seems to be very soundly built. I have been around machinery most of my life (even if not boats), and I can tell build-quality when I see it. I cannot wait to get her in top shape again.

I find it incredible that ANY motor vehicle sold would not come with an owner's manual. I apologise as I simply never considered that such manuals were not supplied with a new boat.

Thanks very much again for the info!
a j r

Post by a j r »

As I mentioned it looks like the 1985 model 252 Weekend Cuddy was the exact same thing as the 1984 model 229 Heritage. They just changed the name and model number. So they probably wanted to use up any old ID plates they had in stock.

Thompson Boat, Inc. of Peshtigo, WI went bankrupt and closed in 1980. Their assets were purchased at bankruptcy auction from the court by the Anderson brothers of Flat Rock, MI. They had been a Thompson dealer. Because they could not secure a favorable lease on the Thomspno plant in Peshtigo (the company did not own the land or buildings), they moved the entire operation to an abandonded boat factory at St. Charles, MI. This Michigan operation was the same company, they just moved locations.

They definately were on a rebuilding program once they got settled in Michigan. It took several years to get themselves running to full capacity.

Carefully check the condition of the wood stringers and wood in the transom. These areas are prone to decay and I have heard that Thompson boats from that period were notorious for decay problems.

Most boat builders did not have owner's manuals for the boats. Owner's manuals for engines, running gear, and accessories were common.

Andreas