Thompson ID help

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

miketphoto

Thompson ID help

Post by miketphoto »

Greetings,
I have just acquired a Thompson Brothers power boat and am trying to narrow down the approximate year and model. I think it is a Sea Lancer but it might be a Sea Coaster. The length is 16'3" bow to stern. The hull ID# is 211700 (the 2 is slightly different font than the rest and ther may be a third 0 on the end). The metal plate on the dash reads:
Thompson Bros.
Boat Mfg. Co.
Peshtigo Wis.
Some additional characteristics that might help are the steering wheel is sort of a transparent metal flake in appearance. The bow light housing is square shaped with an extension to fly a penant. Any info greatyl appreciated.
Mike
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi Mike and welcome aboard.

Is it possible that the hull ID starts with the letter "Z"???

Your serial number is very close to a 1961 boat. In fact, my 1961 Peshtigo Sea Lancer has a serial number of 20163 and another person's '61 Peshtigo Sea Lancer's serial number is 20843. I think you have a 1961 boat. If the hull ID starts with the letter "Z", the first number "1" indicates the year 1961.

Is there a red Outboard Boating Club (OBC) metal tag with listing of maximum HP and weight?

If she is a 1961 boat, the Sea Lancer has a 17'-0" centerline length and 18'-4" gunwale length and beam of 82 inches. The Sea Coaster is 15'-10" centerline length and 16'-11" gunwale length and beam of 72 inches.

Centerline length is measured from the tip of the bow to the end of the transom, perpindicular to the transom and at the level of the deck.

Sounds like a Kainer Meteor steering wheel, which I have on my '61 Sea Lancer.

You can buy brochures for Thompson Boat et.al. on a CD-ROM from www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

Pictures are helpful and feel free to send them to me directly at: thompsonboat@msn.com

Andreas
miketphoto

Post by miketphoto »

Thanks for the quick reply. I will send pictures to you I wasn't sure how to post them on the forum. It could be a Z which would explain the difference in appearance from the numbers. No OBC tag. As far as the measurements go I may have measured inappropriately. Please feel free to post the pictures if you think they will be of interest to anyone.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hull ID "Z 11700 O" would indicate the 1,700th boat of all models made in 1961. The letters Z and O are codes for the guys that worked on this boat. Z is the builder and O is the trimmer.

Andreas