Field Report on the Wade Strong Hull-Jacking Method

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gts

Field Report on the Wade Strong Hull-Jacking Method

Post by gts »

For fifteen years I've lived with a hull hog so bad that anything over half-throttle was more exciting than an E-ticket ride. When I first got the boat and a marina hand decided to take it for a spin, he opened it up and was thrown to the deck when the boat listed to hard port while simultaneously turning hard to starboard. It's slowly been getting better after all these years of summer at anchor and winter on bunks.

Since the local wooden boat shop closed a few years ago, maintenance has become a DIY effort. They taught me about stain, varnish, and two part epoxy. I'm so grateful for Dockside and the wealth of advice. And I was fascinated by Wade Strong's report and pictures of jacking out the hog in his hull. So this year, when I couldn't put off refinishing any longer, I decided to give hull jacking a try.

All I can say is Wow! I started with about 25mm of hog. With the boat on blocks and eight jacks in place it's now almost fair!

When I lower it back onto the trailer for winter storage I'll make sure the bunks extend past the transom. And I'll leave the jacks in place until spring for good measure.

Wade, thank you! Thank you very much!

George

PS How they heck did you do that with the boat in the water? I had my hands full setting it up on dry land.