1963 thompson ???

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

This boat looks a lot like Davids at http://www.thompsondockside.com/views/v ... php?t=2215
Andreas can tell you more from serial #
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
john

Post by john »

Engine is definitely a 59.

Is this an orginial engine?
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard!

Paper work such as registrations and titles are notorious for being innacurate. So don't pay much attentionto them.

What is the hull ID? This will be stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. Usually on the starboard side. This is very important to ID the boat. Sometimes it gets covered up by some other component, such as the junction box for that Fat 50 motor.

Where was this boat built? And what is the COMPLETE and EXACT name of the company that built it? This should be written on the metal serial number plate. This is important to get a correct ID.

If a peshtigo built boat, the serial number "14319" is a few less than the 1959 Thompson Bros. (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer that I had a few years ago.

The deck plywood and deck hatch hole look like a '59 model. The step - seat supports behind the front seats look like a '59 Sea Lancer, so do the cabinets.

Andreas
a j r

Post by a j r »

The first thing you need to do before worrying about varnish, is check the condition of all the structural components of the boat.

Get the floor boards up and check the keel and stringers and ribs. Look for soft wood - poke around with a scratch awl or ice pick or screw driver. If you can push into the wood, it most likely indicates decay. Look for discoloured wood. Check the junction of the plywood planking and transom.

Get all the structural items repaired or repalced FIRST and FOREMOST before doing any refinsihing work. Make the boat seaworhty. This is one huge mistake too many people make.

Andreas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Well, if the motor is not stuck and you can pull the starter chord, that is a very good sign.

Starboard is right. Port is left.

Transom is what the motor is mounted to.

Bow is the front. Stern is the rear.

Andreas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Here is a picture of a 1959 Thompson Bros. (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer that I restored last year. After restoration I sold it to Mark Brown.

a j r

Post by a j r »

One more picture of the 1959 Peshtigo built Thompson Bros. Sea Lancer that I restored.

a j r

Post by a j r »

For a Peshtigo built Thompson Boat the hull ID "BR 90844 K" would indicate the 844th boat (of all models) made in the year ending with 9, i.e. 1959. The "BR" is a code for the builder in the factory and the "K" is a code for the trimmer in the factory. These two guys were responsible for getting this boat out the door of the factory.

The 1959 Sea Lancer is 17'-0" centrline length with a beam (width) of 82 inches. Her ratings are 90 HP for the motor and 1,750 pounds.

The rear seat was an option not a standard item. And yes, it is hinged to gain access to the bilge.

Left side or right side steering was up to whoever rigged the boat. Most boats have right side steering (starboard). It dates back to the olden days when torque of the propeller was factored into the decison as to what side the steering was located. It's no big deal.

Brochures for Thompson Boat and spin-offs are available for sale on a CD-ROM at www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

Mark your calenbdar for the 6th THOMPSON ANTIQUE & CLASSIC BOAT RALLY taking palce at Nestegg Marine in Marinette, WI. dates are 8-10 August 2007. It is s non-judged event.

Andreas
a j r

Post by a j r »

Thanks for the compliments. I do this as a hobby. I do not work on other people's boats, sorry.

Andreas