Seacoaster?

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

MikeR

Seacoaster?

Post by MikeR »

Hello, I’ve looked through this board a lot and have found a wealth of info, as well as some truly beautiful boats. I tried to register here last May, but my spam filters seemed to have got in the way. Registration is successful with the new format maybe.
I just winterized my boat after a very enjoyable summer float (I’m in Marquette MI. on Lake Superior)
I do have many questions which I haven’t been able to find answers to, but I will start small with this, and a couple of pics (taken in May.)

I found a very nice 17’ Thompson in May. Registration says it’s a 1963, but, my hull number seems to be a bit different.
H3A0165 (and then there is a backwards K stamped at the end.)
Serial #22701
The metal plate indicates Peshtigo , WI .
The beam is 80”
Max: 85hp
Max: 1575 pounds of people.
From what I’ve read so far, I think it’s a Seacoaster, but I’m not sure of the year(?)

a j r

Post by a j r »

She is a 1963 Sea Coaster model #1673. Serial number is in the 1963 range and the hull ID indicates 1963. The code letter "A" is Bill Luedtke. So he worked on this boat. He still lives outside of Peshtigo.

Centerline length is 16'-6" and gunwale length is 18'-1".

The only odd thing is the maximum HP rating. In the 1963 brochure it says it should be 100 HP for the Sea Coaster models.

Andreas
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Thanks Andreas, Might you know if Bill is interested in talking about this model?
It has been well cared for and will continue to be.
The 1969 85hp Johnson brings it up to 34 mph, but it sometimes tends to get squirelly up there (pulling to the left.)
I grew up on old wooden boats in the 50's-60's, but this is the first I've owned myself and just seems like there is no other ride like a wooden scow! I do love it.
Thanks again,
I'll be posting more questions as I putter about....