New in North Caroloina

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

georgeb

New in North Caroloina

Post by georgeb »

I just retrieved my Thompson project today. The seller believes she is a 1965 18' model. Based on the statistics, I believe she is a 1961 Off-Shore.

She is a wood lapstrake boat made by the Thompson Bros. Mfg. Co. in Peshtigo, Wisconsin; serial number 20765. The OBC tag rates her for 140 h.p. and a maximum load of 2,250 lbs. I haven't found a hull number yet. The tags have obviously been moved so maybe the transom has been modified/replaced.

I measure her as follows:
Length center 18' 3" (this could be off because of the windshield)
Length gunwale 19' 9"
Depth at bow 50"
Depth at transom 32"
Transom width 78" at widest point
Beam 90"

I'll post some pictures when I find the earlier post that shows how to do it.

I've been reading the website for a couple of months and am excited about beinbg a part of this group.

George Barber
Montreat, NC
georgeb

Here are pics...and I live in North Carolina

Post by georgeb »

a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard George,

Nice project! Well, your assumption is correct. 1961 model year according to the serial number as compared to other know boats.

Is there a hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat?

In 1961 the Off-Shore model had a centerline length of 18'-8" with gunwale length of 19'-10". Max. HP is 140 and weight capacity 2,250 pounds.

I am fairly certain that your seats have been modified from original.

Andreas
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

Thanks Andreas.

I'll keep looking for a hull number. The transom appears to be "three-ply" --- plywood sandwiched between mahogany (or maybe oak on the inside). Is this unusual? If so, it may indicate the transon has been replaced which would explain the moved tags and missing hull number.

I'm sure you are right about the seats. There is a live well under them.

I don't know how much history you keep in your Thompson database but here is what I know. I bought the boat from a couple in Okeechobee, FL. They bought her in Minneapolis in April 2004 and took her to Florida to restore. She sat in their yard until I moved her Monday night. She was obviously used primarily for fishing.

She now lives in Montreat, NC, in the Blue Ridge mountains of western North Carolina, close to Asheville.

George
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

The original transom should be two layers of SOLID Philippine mahogany lumber. The outer layer is horizontal and the inner layer is vertical. Screwed and glued together. There never was any plywood installed at the factory. There would have been a white oak brace piece running the width of the transom, inside the boat, about 1 1/4" x 3" to 4". It would have been located about 3" down from the motor cut-out. It would have been attached thru the transom with brass carriage bolts, with the heads on the outside of the transom.

I am in Minneapolis!

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Welcome George - nice project boat!!! You can get alot of great help here - looking forward to pics of your efforts!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware