Barn find Thompson Runabout

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

lmtgb

Barn find Thompson Runabout

Post by lmtgb »

I purchased a Thompson Runabout this weekend that has been sitting in a barn for twenty three years. It is in very good condition but will need varnish. I'm not sure what model it is. This is what I know. The small metal plate on the transom had a serial number of 54776, manufactured in Cortland, NY. I see no numbers burned into the transom. I'm told it is a 1959, 15' overall length and a 67" beam. It looks like Richard Amberson's boat on the Dockside Boat page. All of the original hardware is intact except for the dashplate for the starter button and ??. Is there a source for Thompson hardware? I see lots and lots for Chris Craft. Thanks for any replies.
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Imtbg,

Go to the main page of this site and click on "What Do I Have?" tab. Get all the info asked for there and submit. We should be able to help you identify what you have with all the info.

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Something that is VERY IMPORTANT to assit in a proper identificaiton. What is the company name, completely and exactly, that is on the metal serial number tag. This is vital to a proper ID.

Why you ask? Because there were several "Thompson Boat" companies operating at the same time and making the almost exact product.

Andreas
Last edited by LancerBoy on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There is no such thing as "Thompson hardware." The various Thompson boat building operations used off-the-shelf hardware from firms such as Perko, Attwood, Wilcox-Crittenden, Aqua Meter, etc... This was the general rule throughout the boating industry. It was very rare for a particular boat builder to have their own hardware made for them.

What are you looking for? Ebay is a good source for many items.

Andreas