Courtland Thompson

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JoeCB

Courtland Thompson

Post by JoeCB »

A friend just bought this little Thompson. It's a canvas covered cedar strip with oak ribs. Length is 9 ft 10 in , beam is 53 in. On the fore deck are two brass tags and numbers "127" stamped into the top of the stem piece. The makers tag " Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. Courtland N.Y." and a sellers tag " Sold By, Miller's Repair Shop, Allerton, Mass."
We could not find any numbers or other markings on the transom.
What is the model name and approx year of manufacture of this little boat? Any other info ?? how about the seller in Mass. ? Anyone know of this shop?
Thanks ,
Joe Brincat

Image[/img]
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Cute little boat!

The "127" number is probably meaningless. I do not believe it is a number from the factory. Could have been put there by the dealer. Maybe it was at a boat rental place and the "127" was their identification.

In 1952 Thompson had a 10 ft. Take-Along 235. The rear seat is different than in your photo. In 1942 they had a 10 ft. canvas covered Dingy with 48 inch beam.

In 1934 they had the Spee-Dink in 10 ft. length with 54 inch beam. This looks like the most likely candidate.

I vote for the Spee-Dink which was offered from 1930 to 1934.

My name is Andreas Jordahl Rhude and I approved this message.
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Thanks Andreas, 1930 ? so when did the Thompsons start the N.Y. operation? I hadn't thought that it was that early
Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The Cortland branch plant started production in early 1925.

Now, I have been told that NO canvas covered boats or canoes were ever manufactured at Cortland. The vessels would be made at Peshtigo and shipped to Cortland. Sometimes they would do the painting and varnishing at Cortland. Roy Thompson says this was the way it was done. So do some others.

At Cortland they would install the metal builder's tag with the Cortland location on it.

This is an odd way to do this, but as Roy said, the family and company didn't necessarily do things logically at times!

Andreas