Dates of new models intro???

You inherited your uncle's Thompson and now you want to know more about it.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

W Guy

Dates of new models intro???

Post by W Guy »

I'm looking at a very original '61 Cortland Sea Lancer with a '62 Merc 700. I have every reason to believe the motor is original to the boat, but that brings up questions.
When during the year did the "new" Thompsons reach the market? In the Fall of the preceeding year, as cars did? When did the "new" Mercs reach market? Earlier or later than the boats? Could this be a "left-over" '61 boat with a new '62 Merc? What was the overlap?

How late could you buy a "new" '61 Cortland Thompson and how early could you buy a "new" '62 Merc?
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

In recent years, the new boat models have been introduced in June. So a 2009 boat was being built in June 2008!

Pete Thompson told me that the Peshtigo plant of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. began the new model year on 01 September. This was in the 1950s and 1960s. It was probably the same at Cortland.

The boating industry's largest trade show was held in Chicago in late September or early October each year. Therefore boat makers had to have their new product line ready by that time. Same applied to motor builders, trailer manufacturers, etc...

Your 1961 model year boat could have sat around at the factory until late in 1961 or it could have sat on a dealer's showroom floor for many months before being sold to a consumer.

Andreas