When to flip? rib replacement

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Jim Tesno

When to flip? rib replacement

Post by Jim Tesno »

Plan on flipping my boat this weekend and putting it inside the garage so I can begin removing the keel, keelson and garboards all of which need to be replaced.
Thinking long term and placement inside the garage. All my ribs will need to be replaced or scarfed. Is the rib work better done while the boat is on its' back or rights side up?
Jim Tesno
GulfCoastThompson

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

Hey Jim, How do you plan to flip the boat. I am about to flip mine to start the same work.
Ken
Fairhope, AL
Jim Tesno

Post by Jim Tesno »

Ken: From what I have ready, the best way is sheer numbers. I have braced the inside with cross member 2x4's to keep the sides from caving in and have asked my step son to bring over 6 - 8 of his strong back/weak mind (just joking) buddies. Plan to slide it off the trailer, roll it over and carry it into the garage
Jim Tesno
GulfCoastThompson

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

Hey Jim, Thats the method I have read about. I wonder if anyone ever used a boat rotisserie to flip and work on a boat. Maybe someone with more experience can answer our questions.
Ken
Fairhope, AL
Jim Tesno

Post by Jim Tesno »

Ken: I saw where someone made a cradle to roll their boat over. It basically was a quarter cirle that was strapped to the bottom of the boat. Don't remember if I saw it on the Dockside or somewhere else. Maybe someone else can help on that.
Hope to flip this PM if the rain stays away. Will give you a full report afterwards.
Jim Tesno
Jim Tesno

Post by Jim Tesno »

Ken: Mission accomplished. We flipped the boat. More work in preparation than getting it done. All my ribs are rotten so no internal strenght so I put in three cross braces on the upper side of the boat, one at the dash and two more equal distances toward the stern and one close to the floor. Had 6 of my step sons friends come over. Slid the boat off the trailer (trailer is an old style tilt trailer which helped). Then we just rolled her on her side, had half the guys run to the other side and let her down gently to the ground. Then we carried it into the garage to its' new home. Whole project to flip and carry probably didn't take 15 - 30 minutes. Now the real fun starts.
Jim Tesno