Thompson factory picture

Have a question or comment about the origin of your boat or about the company? Disscuss it here!

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

Thompson factory picture

Post by LancerBoy »

Here is a photo circa 1965 at the Peshtigo operation of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co.

This must be a staged picture for the camera. If those ribs were just out of the steam box ready to be bent, the workers would be wearing heavy gloves.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There have been other factory pictures posted on this forum. Ya just need to look. Here is one:

http://www.thompsondockside.com/phpbb/v ... php?t=3075
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

very cool indeed
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

I agree. It gives me more appreciation for my '60 Sea Coaster knowing it started life in much the same way. I wonder how they flipped them over after the hull was done....
Verne :)
Dan Wolf

Post by Dan Wolf »

5 Guys? Dan
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Here is a pic from the 1962 brochure of Thompson of Peshtigo showing a device clamped to the transom to assist flipping the boat. At the bow, they probably used the hole for the mooring bit for something similar.

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Another great photo from your collection! The rear swivel looks like it's adjustible to find the neutral balance point. That makes me wonder if the bow eyes were installed at the neutral balance point as well (depending on the model).
:D
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

1950s photo of Thompson Boat plant at Peshtigo. Note the metal round boxes sticking out of the wall. These were the steam boxes! The building on the left was constructed in 1949 to replace buildings destroyed by a fire that same year.

The factory directly ahead in the photo and to the right is Unit Structures, Inc.

Andreas

Similar view of the factory building today, taken 25 December 2010. Thompson Boat moved from this facility in 1971:
Last edited by LancerBoy on Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Such cool pieces of history!
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Aerial view of Thompson Boat at Peshtigo circa 1950. The white roofed building in the center of this shot along Peck Avenue are the ones built in 1949 to replace fire destroyed buildings.

The factory complex parallel to the railroad track is Unit Structures, Inc. The two story old school house looking building is the Unit Structures office. It was indeed once a school house, built in the 1870s or 1880s and moved to this location about 1940. Today it is just used for storage. I think I have one of my boats in there!

Andreas

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Another aerial view of Peshtigo. Circa 1955. The complex nearest the camera is Unit Structures, Inc. Note all the curved "U" shaped things. Those are glued laminated white oak frames/ribs for US Navy Minesweeper ships made by Unit.

Thompson Boat is sorta in the middle. This must have been not too long after the March 1955 fire which wiped out the three story building at Thompson. Nothing has been rebuilt in its place at the time of this photo.

The piles of logs in the upper part of the photo are pulp logs for Badger Paper Mills.

Andreas

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

BIG STEMS. Yup, those are stems for boats on the two truck rigs. Glued laminated white oak stems for 165 ft. US Navy minesweepers. Those stems were manufactured by Unit Structures, Inc. of Peshtigo, WI for Burger Boat of Manitowoc, WI. This is a 1952 photo.

In the background is the factory complex of Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. C

sayuncle

Post by sayuncle »

Andreas, what about the building across the river by the livestock yard. When was that building used?

Brad
Brad K
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

In 1971 Thompson Boat sold the factory complex on Ellis Avenue. They planned on moving to Menominee, MI. The local community had a cow and bent over backwards to keep the business in town. So the local Industrial Development group built Thompson a new factory which was leased to them for next to nothing. Thomspon Boat occuped that facility until their backruptcy and closing in 1980. The boat firm never owned the building or land.

It is across the river on old highway 41. It was ERDA in recent years, which just changed hands.

I am sitting in Peshtigo right now. Out the window of the office I am in I can see the old Thompson Boat works (1912-1971 site).

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

circa 1960 aerial view of Thompson Boat plant at Peshtigo