1959 Sea Coaster-Motor HP/weight

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Jim Tesno

Post by Jim Tesno »

Looks like a hole in the rear deckwork for a ski pylon. Not sure why the transom area for the motor would be that high though. If it was being set up to pull skiers, you'd want a low center of gravity and the motor to sit down low for rope clearance. Looks like someones' modifications but not sure if they make sense.
Jim Tesno
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

The OMC shop manual calls for a transom height of 20 inch +/_ 1/2 ".
NOTE that that height is measured vertically not along the plane of the transom. You can use a builders square off of the bottom of the hull (garboard plank not the keel) and measure up the 20 " height.

Joe B
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The rear deck is typical of a Thomboy model. The high transom is not original. I've never seen one like that.

What year is the boat? What is the serial number on the metal builder's tag and what is the hull ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat. They will be different.

Andreas
Brad Rohloff

Post by Brad Rohloff »

The transom height is the way it came and looked original. I replaced some of the boards but didn't alter the height.
The s/n 20431 from the metal plate; built in Peshtigo, Wisc.
The hull# cut into the transom board is F11124Q.
I'll measure the height as you suggest Joe but I think it'll still be more than 20-1/2".
Brad
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Both the hull ID and serial number indicate a 1961 model year boat. The rear deck framing suggest a THOMBOY model. The decking should be painted white and have stained/varnished mahogany trim pieces mounted on top of the deck. Both at bow and rear decks.

She should have back to back fully upholstered seats and crash padding all around the cockpit. Upholstery is blue and white in the 1961 brochure.

The Thomboy was the most deluxe model with the most standard accessories factory installed.

You can get the brochures on CD-ROM at www.wcha.org and www.dragonflycanoe.com

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Standard outboard transom heights are 15" and 20" . of course the 20" height is for the larger long shaft motors or others that have the 5" extension in the leg.
If your transom is truly higher than 20 " and apparently original that will certinaly be a mystery.
Joe B
Brad Rohloff

Post by Brad Rohloff »

OK, when you measure vertically and not along the plain of the transom as Joe has stated it measures 20-1/2", so I should be good.
Brad :)
Brad Rohloff

Post by Brad Rohloff »

When I got the boat the fir plywood deck was covered with "Nautilex" (sp) a leather like synthetic covering that simulated wood strip decking, it was a lighter color. Another name for this stuff was "Naugahide". The stuff was made in Toledo, Ohio around that time. The boat had the mahogany wood trim pieces and crash padding as lancer boy has said. The seats were fully re-apolstered and are in good shape. The decking and most of the trim were in very bad condition. As can be seen the entire deck had to be removed. I'm replacing it with Mahogany plywood and plan to stain and varnish it to match the top board. Some of the wood trim that was in better shape will be repaired and reinstalled. I'm not replacing the rubber crash padding. The boat won't be exactly as the original.
Brad
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The Nautolex or other type of vinyl on the deck was not original. Someone added it along the way.

Here is a publicity photo of a 1961 Thomboy. Your boat should look very similar to this one.

Andreas
Brad Rohloff

Post by Brad Rohloff »

Looks nice. I don't have the windshield shown here. I do have a wooden
winshield frame and the previous owner gave me a plexi glass windshield that doesen't match whats shown. I have the trim pieces along the center line but the exterior pieces were rotten. The seats look like that with a little different material.
Brad :?
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Not intending to side track the thread here ... but an interisting observation on the pix of the 1961 Thomboy is the unique bow light. That very rare gem is an Atwood Co. "Riveria Sea Flight" . In all my travels around boatdom
I have only see three examples of this "Star Fleet Enterprise" look alike. The closest to home resides on the bow of my 1960 Lone Star. Actually, some one told me that this three pod bow light inspired Gene Roddenberry's design of the Star Ship Enterprise. The Atwood logo, a asimetrical swish that is cast into the surface of the light is a dead ringer for the Star Fleet "swish" on the crew's uniform shirt. how knows?? the time period is about right.
please excuse the excursion into boating triva.
Joe B
Brad Rohloff

Post by Brad Rohloff »

I do have that bow light. I also have another more traditional light from that era that I may be installing instead. I'll be keeping that light just in case.
How many rules am I breaking with the traditionalists if I stain and varnish the deck and install the wooden window frame sense I don't have the metal one?
Of course all of thses things could be changed down the road.
Brad:)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Brad Rohloff wrote:Looks nice. I don't have the windshield shown here. I do have a wooden
winshield frame and the previous owner gave me a plexi glass windshield that doesen't match whats shown. I have the trim pieces along the center line but the exterior pieces were rotten. The seats look like that with a little different material.
Brad :?
Remember that the boat pictured is a 1961 model. Your boat is a 1960 model. The manufacturer changed stylings, details, upholstery almost annually. That accounts for some of the differences between your boat and the 1961 one pictured.

As for making changes from what is "factory correct", that is your call. If your intent is to go to judged shows and try to win awards, you better make her just like she came from the factory. And you better have prrof as to what was "original." If you want a boat to use and have no interest in awards, do what you want to her.

I have seen a Thomboy with that fun Atwood bow light. Tom Peacock from Livonia, who has a 1960 Thomboy, may have that light on his boat as well.

Andreas
Brad Rohloff

Post by Brad Rohloff »

[img][img]http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad16 ... 0_1088.jpg[/img]
Herers the boat finished and in the water at Orchard Lake. We launched it on 8/1. Took a little longer to finish than I thought. Motor pushes the boat along real nice! :D
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Looks great! Have fun with her!

Andreas