Transom Plate Wedges

Suggestions, concerns, and what is the correct power plant for your Thompson.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Portside

Transom Plate Wedges

Post by Portside »

I have been advised to consider using a wedge shaped transom plate to create under kick to the engine. Apparently, with engine in this position (up-thrust) the boat will plane much faster. This can only be done with a trim control engine, of course. I can see where this could be advantageous with a full or uneven loaded boat too. Any one else do this?
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Portside,

I can not see where this would be an advantage other then if the boat where always front heavy to start with. I can only see problems

Most newer large outboards have electricially operated trim control or on the older motors you moved the trim pin up or down manually to either lower or raise the angle of the prop shaft to trim out the boat.

Wedging the transom plate would mean you would not have the ability to drop the prop shaft down as low as without the wedge. You need to be able to drop the prop closer to the transom to bring the bow down if weight is in the rear of the boat.

To bring a boat up on plane faster you need either after planes on the boat or one of those wings on the cavitation plate.

Good Luck,

Phill