Natural Bedding Compound

Find paint matches and what others have used here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JoeCB

Natural Bedding Compound

Post by JoeCB »

A bit of discussion and solicitation of your thoughts on the subject of bedding compounds. I am a firm believer in the use of natural Non-adheasive (linseed oil based) bedding compounds for our antique and classic boats. I have used "Dolphinite" in the past under all fittings, non-permininent joints and wood screw shanks. Anything to help keep the water out of joints and crevices. Of late I've had a hard time finding Dolphinite, now I learned that a product with the same name and logo is being marketed by Pettit and is available thru West Marine....a bit pricey at $23 something a pint. SO... I'm thinking that this stuff is very similiar to the old fashoned clay/linseed oil caulks, so why not make up a patch.... Just what I did, and it seems to work great. I used plumbers puddy (99 cents at any hardware store) and a little RAW linseed oil, mix to a creamy smooth consistency.
Welcome your thoughts on the subject.
Joe
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

Joe, I had not thought much about this. Do I understand correctly, you would use this material when you are screwing in the seats, cabinets, and other areas that you might later have to remove. Would you apply this to the screw first? Does this have any effect on how well the screw holds in place, or over time would it be more likely that the screw will back out?
Thank you for shareing.
Eric
JoeCB

bedding

Post by JoeCB »

My opinion... and I'm hoping some of the more expierenced folks will chime in, in support or otherwise ... Anytime we make a non-permanent joint between a metal fitting and wood or between wood and wood we create a gap that will hold water and lead to rot. The idea of bedded these joints is to exclude water entry. Same for screws and bolts in wood, a little dab of bedding compound on the shank will fill any minute voids and what squeezes up around the shank will help seal the head of the fastener as well. Maybe my habit of using a non-adheasive bedding compound like Dolphinite is out of date, perhaps the new adhesive sealers will do a better job. I'm open to suggestions.
Joe
a j r

Post by a j r »

Dolfinate is available at West Marine - just bought a quart can. Interlux makes a bedding compound too, but don't know how it compares to Dolfinate. There was some recent discussion at the forum of www.woodenboat.com about home made bedding compounds - just like what you did Joe.

I think bedding compound is a good idea.

And no, the bedding compound is not going to help a screw stick in the wood better or make it slippery and fall out.

Andreas